These are my development sketches for each character. I feel the Lumberjack got the most development, since she was the hardest to draw; I have drawn human woman and foxes before, but never bears!
Weird Fact: Vanessa is the masked Falconer superhero of her town. By day, she works at a bird sanctuary. A falcon at the sanctuary named poppy, is the one who joins her on her quest to rid the world of thieves and such.
Below is the final paintings of these three characters; the Musician is done in gouache, my first ever use of the media, which i found to be difficult - adding too much water caused tears in the card stock I was working on, which caused me to start over again! However, I do now love gouache - I love the smooth effect you can accomplish with this media. To describe it best, people who I know who have used it prier to myself say it is a media between watercolour (due to the use of water with the media) and acrylics (with the colours being vibrant, but smoother and not as thick.) The other two were done with acrylics, a media which I am used to - its vibrant colours are on par with that of my gouache musician, which is good - they match while being in different medias. I'm not as pleased with the final outcomes as I would have liked to have been; none of them seem correct, not as they were as sketches in my book. I feel the musician's face needed more work, and the eyes are off, as is the head shape. The falconer's pose is all wrong which causes her body to look twisted and unproportional - she was original designed with a abnormal thin waist, but with this pose it looks even thinner than before! Creating fur for the Lumberjack was hard, and for the effort put it, I feel it should have been more successful - and her axe, ahhhh! It's colouring was too plain and boring, plus I did the oversized axe too big in the final, even more so than intended! In terms of character design, personality and choice of media, I feel it was a success, but the finals to not do these guys justice!
No comments:
Post a Comment